On My Bedside Table: The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

>> Tuesday, October 20, 2009

That may be a little misleading.  I am listening to this and an Audible Book.  In my car.  When I am driving anyways.




"Reading" a book this way is an acquired taste.  I spent many years with little free time except when I was in the car.  I yearned to read more, and it was killing me to waste my time driving.  I was even known to pull out a book and try to get a few pages in during traffic jams.  Then I discovered the loca library had free books on audio tape and CD.

Score

I went through several in the next few months, never looking back at the sad NPR war stories, and what is our world coming to breaking news.  I could pretend I didn't live in that world any more, and instead live in whatever fictional world I had checked out at the library this week.    I had drifted away from these auidobooks as I have more time for actual reading these days, however will still enjoy one now and then.

I wasn't one of these people that had a strong opinion about this book before it came out.  I didn't eagerly anticipate it as advertised.  I found out about it from a friend, who happens to be a freemason, and was reading it.  I enjoyed  The Da Vinci Code  a lot.  I despised Angels & Demons: A Novel (Robert Langdon).  So this book could be hit or miss.

Did I like it?  Yes
Was it plausable?  No



That is really OK with me.  I don't read books solely for fact, I read them for enjoyability.  I did enjoy this book.  In fact, I found myself looking for places to drive, so I could listen a little longer.  The story was brought me in, and made me think.   Both things I enjoy in a book.  I would recommend it to friends, but I would not put it at the top of my favorite book list.

And darn it, I didn't learn any secrets about my Freemason friends that I didn't already have a good idea about.

Want to know more?  Interested in what others thought?

Discovering The Lost Symbol: The Blog
Secrets of The Lost Symbol
Read Street

Want to snag your own copy?

0 comments:







  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP